How To Get Shiny, Healthy And Beautiful Looking Hair Without Breaking The Bank
Now Spring time has definately sprung and the evenings are lengthening, there is nothing better than having a head of well looked after, shiny hair, that you know will look as good at the end of the evening as it did when you set out for work that morning. Forget about the hair sprays, gels and serums that can cost you serious pennies - there are lots of cost saving and natural ways to improve the health of your hair from the inside, and also simple treats to apply to your locks to give it extra shine and body.
What Gives Your Hair Shine on the Outside
- Hair has an outer protective barrier called a cuticle and this needs to be kept smooth to create shine.
- Imagine that the cuticle of your hair looks like a tiled roof, with the tiles all nice and flat - if something comes along and ruffles up those tiles such as rough towel drying, the tiled roof looses it neat appearance and shine.
How To Get Shiny Hair By Enhancing Your Diet
- Hair is made of keratin which is a form of protein so make sure that your include in your diet proteins such as lean meats, fish, beans, low fat dairy products and eggs.
- Also look to add to your diet brazil nuts, almonds - maybe add them to your morning cereal, along with flaxseeds. All of these are good sources of omega-3 fats, and they can increase your hair's shine over time - but be patient, it will take time, and it will be six months before you see the results but it will be worth it.
Giving Your Hair A Proper Deep Clean
- Use a clarifying shampoo every other wash to remove the residue of any hair products which can clog up your shine.
- Every week or so, add a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (found on the baking aisle in the supermarket) to your shampoo, and this will froth up and give a deep clean to your hair and scalp.
Condition Your Hair With Something Yummy
- Hair gets dried out with sun, wind, air-conditioning and general styling so look for conditioners which contain shea butter or olive or avocado oil. These will moisturise your hair and fill in tiny cracks in the hair shaft.
- When buying a product such as a conditioner with a relatively expensive ingredient, such as shea butter, make sure you check what percentage of ingredient the product contains. Remember the nearer the beginning of the list of ingredients the product is - the higher the concentration.
Style Your Hair With Heated Products Only When Necessary To Retain Shine
- Each time you apply heated products to your hair, even with protector products, you are drying it out and creating damage, which will reduce the shine.
- If you can get a great haircut, the styling by the hairdresser will reduce the amount of styling you need to do each day, saving you time, money on products and also saving your hair!