How To Create The Latest Red Carpet Golden Manicure On A Budget
It was always about the French polish for such a long time, but now on red carpets everywhere, celebrities are wearing colourful, creative manicures. The latest one to catch our eye, and one which we know is very easy to create at home (with a special Fashion Tips twist of course) is the gold manicure. Rihanna wore gold nails at the 2012 Grammy Awards, which complemented perfectly the LBD which was a design collaboration between Rihanna and Emporio Armani.
The gold polish that Rihanna wore was Red Carpet Manicure’s Amor 24, a limited edition 24 karat gold polish, along with a gold charm on her little finger nail.
How To Get Rihanna's Goldfinger Look With A Gold Leaf Manicure
- The ideal nail shape for this season is long and oval like Rihanna's. However, you can still create this look with short nails - have a look at the gold nails on Katie Holmes, this type of manicure on short nails looks great with casual jeans and boots. An alternative look is worn by Victoria Beckam (pictured below), who has classic, square cut long nails, finished with a gold manicure.
- To get your golden manicure, first, apply a base coat to your nails. A base coat should always be used as it protects your nails from staining from the polish, and also evens out the surface, smoothing away any ridges, so that your top coat will appear perfect.
- Next apply two coats of an iridescent gold polish - something nice and shiny. Barry M and Collection 2000 do nice gold nail polishes at bargain prices.
- Get hold of a sheet of gold leaf. Now before you think this is getting difficult - it's not. You can get hold of sheets of gold leaf from Amazon, about £5 for 25 sheets - think how many manicures you could get from those - plus you could always share with friends.
- Tear off small, uneven pieces of the gold leaf and press them onto each nail building up the shapes and patterns you want - this will also add texture.
- Once you have completed each nail, apply a coat of high-shine top coat, such as Boots No 7 Stay Perfect Top Coat, which is fast drying, so great if you don't have a lot of patience!
- You now have the latest red carpet "real gold" manicure, in a design which is totally unique to you, and at a fraction of the cost of a professional manicure.
- Remember to be creative and apply gold leaf in different patterns and shapes. You can even apply it over different colour polishes, or to just one nail (the ring finger is a good choice).